What to Do When Hit by an Uninsured Driver

California law requires all motorists to carry insurance coverage for injury or death to people and damage to property. This is designed to ensure victims in a car accident can make a speedy recovery without going through lengthy court processes.

Unfortunately, requiring drivers to carry insurance is one thing, but having them follow the requirement is another. This means there are people out there who drive without insurance, and if you are involved in an accident they are liable for, the chances for a full recovery become a greater challenge.

In this article, we’re going to explain what to do when hit by an uninsured driver to help maintain options available to make recovery possible.

Report the Accident to the Police

No matter how small or minor you think the car accident is, it’s always important to report it to the police of the California Highway Patrol. Car accident reports from the local authorities are valuable evidence when filing a claim with your own insurance company.

Additionally, even though you may not directly benefit from the penalties that the uninsured driver may face, a report can lead to a suspension or revocation of their license. By keeping the roads free from uninsured drivers, you’re ultimately making the roads a better and safer place for you and all motorists.

Document Your Medical Expenses and Lost Income

If you had to get medical treatment or be hospitalized because of a car accident, documenting all the medical expenses is essential to your pursuit of an accident settlement. Keep all the receipts from the hospital or clinic that treated you, along with any documentation they may have to demonstrate your condition or injury.

If your injury from the car accident resulted in you being unable to work, make sure to gather evidence showing the duration of your disability, whether permanent or temporary.

Consult with an Experienced Attorney

Since the other party in the car accident did not carry insurance, your primary recourse will have to lie with your own insurance company. California is a fault state and this can be a complicated matter to deal with on your own.

Fault states like California require plaintiffs to sue the party at fault or their insurance company to recover damages. Since the party does not have insurance, this may indicate they do not have the financial means to pay you.

In these instances, the best move would be to get the assistance of an experienced attorney. An Orange County car accident lawyer from Kohan & Bablove LLP can help you evaluate your legal options to help ensure you can still recover despite the other party not having auto and liability insurance.

Schedule your free consultation today when you call 1-844-404-2400 or visit us online.

About the Author:

Kohan & Bablove LLP

Kohan & Bablove LLP is a Personal Injury Law Firm serving Riverside and Orange County, California. Our Injury and Accident Lawyers provide passionate, aggressive and client-focused legal services to individuals who have been injured; whether that be in the form of physical injury, emotional distress or work-related injury. Time may be limited to file a claim so visit so call today 844-404-2400.... View full business profile here: Kohan & Bablove LLP

Comments, Thoughts & Responses