www.legallistings.us - LegalListings.us

What Can I Do if My Child Is Hurt in a Car Accident?

Suffering through a car accident is scary at any age. You’re hurt, you may be afraid for others injured in the crash, and you’re worried about how you’re going to recover from all this. As a parent, it can be just as devastating to get the call that your child has had a severe car accident. 

Knowing that your child is hurt and suffering is bad enough, but how are they supposed to get compensated for those losses? They’re a minor, which means they can’t file a lawsuit on their own against the at-fault party. 

You may need to seek compensation for the suffering you and they have been through. Reach out for help if you’re unsure how to help your child following their accident. 

Seek Medical Care

When your child is involved in a serious car wreck, they may need medical attention right away. Severe injuries can leave permanent scars and disabilities, and acting now can help minimize the suffering your child is going through. 

Even if your child feels fine, it’s best to see a doctor anyway. Certain injuries may not be noticeable right away, even as the damage is getting worse. If you believe your child is fine and go on without confirming that, it may be too late when you do. 

Your child could have suffered any of the following injuries, among others: 

  • Traumatic brain injuries 

  • Spinal cord damage

  • Broken bones

  • Internal organ damage

  • Burn injuries

Learn Your Time Limits

Keep in mind that your time is limited to act, but your child may have an extended amount of time to file. In Wisconsin, you typically have three years to file a claim. If you don’t act in time, your claim will be dismissed, and you’ll be unable to get compensated for your losses. 

Your child’s claim is different because their time limit doesn’t start until they turn eighteen. That gives you more time to seek out a Milwaukee car accident lawyer and to get compensated for your family’s losses. But acting now can help you file a claim on time and seek compensation now, not later. 

Reach Out for a Car Accident Lawyer in Milwaukee

When your child is injured in a car accident, it can be tough to get them the help they need. Minors have a different set of legal concerns than adults, which can make the process more difficult and confusing. But you don’t have to seek help for your child alone. 

At the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg, we’re here to help those who need legal guidance for their car accident claim, whether they’re filing for themselves or for a child. Having a lawyer on your side can give you the time and freedom to focus on healing, not just your finances. 

When you’re ready to talk to a lawyer, we offer free consultations so you know what to expect before your claim goes to court. Give us a call at 414-271-7007 or visit us online to learn more about your claim. 

About the Author:

Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg

Gary Greenberg has been practicing law in Wisconsin for well over two decades. As a Milwaukee car accident lawyer, he has dedicated his career to helping the victims of accidents and injuries recover compensation for the damages they’ve suffered. He takes every case as seriously as he would his own; when you work with the Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg, you’ll benefit from the services of a dedicated, determined Milwaukee personal injury lawyer.... View full business profile here: Law Offices of Gary S. Greenberg

Comments, Thoughts & Responses